Last year I guessed 6 of Pitchfork‘s top ten albums of the year, but of these I was only able to place ‘Merriweather Post Pavilion’ in its correct position. As I commented at the time, even my mother would have figured out that detail, despite her being more of a Oneohtrix Point Never fan.
This year, Pitchfork’s top ten rated albums are as follows:
- Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – Rating: 10.0
- Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest – Rating: 9.2
- LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening – Rating: 9.2
- Big Boi – Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty – Rating: 9.2
- Joanna Newsom – Have One on Me – Rating: 9.2
- Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Before Today – Rating: 9.0
- Beach House – Teen Dream – Rating: 9.0
- No Age – Everything in Between – Rating: 8.8
- Flying Lotus – Cosmogramma – Rating: 8.8
- How to Dress Well – Love Remains – Rating: 8.7
The National – High Violet – Rating: 8.7
Sleigh Bells – Treats – Rating: 8.7
Titus Andronicus – The Monitor – Rating: 8.7
Robyn – Body Talk – Rating: 8.7
(Thanks to www.albumoftheyear.org for the list)
My thinking goes like this:
I’m guessing Kanye West has come in too late for all the P4K staffers to get behind it sufficiently to make it top of the list, but I figure it has to squeak into the top 3. The other slots will be contested by Deerhunter, which I guess is a reflex choice for most of the electorate, LCD Soundsystem, which should benefit from the sentimental vote, and Joanna Newsom, which is pretty tough to ignore as the towering achievement of the year.
Beneath these four I think Big Boi, Ariel Pink and Beach House pretty much have to feature, and then i’m struggling. It seems wrong for The National to sit outside the top ten and I also can’t see Vampire Weekend or Four Tet being overlooked, although that might reflect my year’s listening more than the ‘fork folks.
So, here goes. My predictions:
- Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest (I bet they can’t resist)
- Joanna Newsom – Have One On Me
- Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening
- Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Before Today
- Beach House – Teen Dream
- Big Boi – Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
- Four Tet – There Is Love In You
- The National – High Violet
- Vampire Weekend – Contra
If (when) i’m wrong, I expect it’ll be because of The Walkmen, No Age, Sleigh Bells, Titus Andronicus, Tame Impala and Caribou. As for the Arcade Fire, drifting somewhere in the 10-20 suburbs.
I’m granting myself 2 points for each top ten record guessed, and 5 points for those placed correctly. Post your own predictions, and I might even buy you a creme egg if you beat me.